How many of you nurses out there actually put a lot of effort into your wardrobe OUTside of the hospital? If any of you are like me, you live in scrubs, veg-clothes, and pajamas! Whenever that special event or date-night comes around, you go scrounging through your drawers for that one cute shirt you have. You pull out those go-to skinny leg jeans (that barely fit you anymore), and you rock that one pair of boots that go with everything, because well, Continue Reading
Nurses Week should be EVERY week in my book, but we all know that can’t happen! If anyone understands all of the hard work that we go through in a day, it’s the nurses around you! The ones on the “frontline” working long and hard to implement orders, push pain meds, insert catheters, call the doc, and chart it all at the same time! NURSES are the true Super Heroes of the hospital! With the skill to safe a life at the drop of a dime, and the heart to hold a hand and cry with a dying patient, nurses are simply AMAZING!
I have always wanted to have a lot of money so I could GIVE it all away! Seriously! I’ve always admired famous people like Ellen DeGeneres, who give to freely and put an emphasis on Kindness in this world! I never grew up with a lot of money, but I grew up with a lot of love! I reached out to the Sponsors of this year’s Yourheartismine Give Away, and simply asked if they would collaborate with Yourheartismine to spread some love and honor nurses LIKE you, with some really awesome nursing gifts! I was OVERWHELEMED with their responses! Some aren’t even nursing related companies, but they just wanted to say ” Thank You” for taking care of others and being amazing nurses (and they thought my blog was cool! whoo hoo!) ! I am SO excited for Nurses Week to spread some love with you guys in the form of AMAZING give aways! Big Thanks to Dansko Footwear, Healing Hands Scrubs, Eden’s Garden Essential Oils, Uniform Advantage, and Speck Products!
Please go add my Instagram: Yourheartisminern
I will be in Washington DC for part of that week May 6th-12, and I will be keeping everyone posted with what’s going on at the Safe Staffing Rally via social media! Hoping to have a “Go Live” during the rall: TBA! So so so excited to stand alongside other nurses from this amazing profession….at the Nation’s Capitol….on Florence Nightingales Birthday…..and stand united for one cause!
HAPPY EARLY NURSES WEEK!!!
Your Heart Is Mine,
Every day of nursing brings something new. It’s always a mix of funny, serious, crazy, sad, scary, exciting, nerve wrecking…..well, you get the picture. Your day is full of much emotion. When the days of nursing will continue to be unpredictable, I have my set of “go-to” things that I can’t live without! I have them on hand everyday, and they make me happy. That’s it. Just plain happiness. I can’t live without them and I wanted to share with you some of my favorite, every day nursey things 🙂
- SCRUBS! Scrubs are the best “dress code” that you will ever have. They are so comfortable and no rummaging through the closet, changing your outfit 5 times, all to get back into the first outfit you tried on in the beginning! I love wearing scrubs! I am 5′ 7 1/2″ and weigh 160lb. I’ve always had issues with my “feminine assets”…..OK ok…..MY BOOBS! They always look like they are just trying to bust out no matter what I wear! My waist is a medium, but my chest is an extra large. I’m taller, and I always have issues with pant length! I found a solution to both! Healing Hands Purple Label scrubs have saved my life! I fit into a large in their top, and a medium TALL in their pants. They are the softest, most comfortable scrub brand I have come across! Tops and bottoms run between 23-27$ Really not that bad when compared to the more expensive brands. You’re getting quality for a decent price! Totally recommend for the busty, tall ladies out there :).
2. HEADBANDS! I am obsessed with headbands! Easy “nursing hair.” They are the best way to wake up, “dress up” your hair, and get out of the house quick! I keep an assortment of patterns and colors on hand! I probably have an inappropriate amount, but it’s kinda one of those “can’t have enough of” things. They look so cute with short or long hair, but super helpful with short hair! They also complement solid scrubs quite well! I have short hair, and I can’t live without these! My favorite places to buy headbands are Hobby Lobby and Target! They have the cutest! Hobby Lobby is cheaper @ 3$ a piece, but both are so cute! I get compliments all the time! I throw my hair in a short pony tail, throw my headband up, and get on my way!
3. Work Bag!!! I LOVE MY WORK BAG! It’s the KAVU rope bag! It is the cutest and most durable work bag that I have ever had! It has a ton of storage, and is so easy to pack and go. It has little pockets on the outside that I like to keep my debit card in for convenience. I just throw it over my shoulder and go! The brand comes in a ton of cute patterns, and just looks great with scrubs! Not that anyone really cares what the work bag looks like, but I’ve loved having mine! It’s water resistant, and the material is very strong. I used to be the Vera Bradley bag queen, and this bag made me move it! I’m not super girly, and this bag just felt more like “me.” It’s nice to have a work bag because bringing your nice purse to work is no bueno. Filth and germs everywhere. Designate a work bad!
4. UNDERSHIRTS! I am the undershirt queen! I am rarely seen without one! I’m always cold, and to be honest, it just makes me feel naked if I don’t wear one. Kinda makes me feel more protected as well! Less body exposed with patient care. You feel me? Anyways….I definitely have a favorite type! The sheer Grey’s Anatomy brand is my fav. I have the sheer white rose pattern. I bought two because I loved it so much! I also have a few other off brands that have words about nursing written on them. Very different, but so comfortable and light weight. They help with feeling cold, but not heavy enough to make you sweat! They are GREAT undershirts for the summer! For people like myself who wear them year round, you can’t go wrong!
5. GOOD SHOES! Danskos! Okay….so hear me out. These shoes were the most undesirable, ugly, and uncomfortable shoes that I have ever seen in my entire life! I tried on a pair in nursing school and hated them! After 2 years of floor nursing, my back was absolutely KILLING me! I had talked to some of the nurses on the floor, and one girl asked what type of shoes I wore. I told her that I have always worn sneakers because the nursey shoes were so ugly and uncomfortable. She then began to tell me how she too, had back issues and her doctor asked her to try out a shoe called Dansko. She told me they took a while to break in, but they saved her back. Folks….I gave in. My back was hurting so bad that I just threw the flag in, broke down, and bought my Danskos! It was so hard to pay that much money for these ugly shoes, but let me tell you now……It was worth every penny. It took a good 3 MONTHS to get used to them. Yes, 3 months. But I don’t have the back aches that I used to have at the end of my shifts! They hurt your feet for the first couple months, but then you don’t feel it after broken in! I swear by them, yall! Give it time! Or go find another comfortable shoe that gives you good posture and back support! It makes all of the difference!
6. Lastly, my favorite thing of all: My handmade ID badge holders! I am not the typical girly girl, but I LOVE my accessories! I love wearing cute glasses, earrings, headbands, and fun scrubs! All of those together allow me to express my creative side! My ID badge holders are made with love from my hands! I have made a ton for friends, and make them occasionally for gifts! They totally dress up your scrubs! I like to call it ” badge bling!” They just stand out against your boring solid scrubs, and really make you brighten up a bit! My patients love it, and work friends beg for them! Any sort of fun ID badge holder can jazz up a nursing scrub! It allows you to express yourself in a way that your scrubs can’t! Below are some pictures of some of the badges I made! You can check out my previous”how-to”blog to view the video to make your own!
I hope yall enjoy some of my favorite things! Feel free to add me on facebook: Kelsey Rowell or email me a heartandsoulRN@gmail.com! Much love!!!