One of my favorite questions that I get from people about essential oils is, “How do you afford the oils you use?” It’s a super common question because at first glance, the cost of PURE essential oils seems a little steep. They also love to point out how you can get essential oils off of Groupon and Amazon for way cheaper. (I’ll talk about that in a sec….) What people don’t realize is what essential oils can do and how they can support your health! Most people think that essential oils are simply just to make your house smell good (diffusing). What they don’t know is that many people like myself, invest in essential oils to replace all of their toxic every day household skincare and cleaning products and also to support their health, immunity, skin, emotions, hormones, and SO much more!
Let’s talk about Toxins
So what are toxins? Toxins are “bad guys” that build up in your body from over exposure to chemicals in our everyday living. They come from the chemicals in your hair products, cleaning products, the environment, moisturizers, soaps, face washes, dish soap, laundry detergent, softeners, hand sanitizers, makeup, processed cooking sprays, processed foods, bathroom deodorizers, medications, deodorants, non-organic produce, food coloring and so much more!! Basically EVERYTHING in life that we use has toxins in them! We can’t escape them, but we can work towards decreasing the toxic load in our home environment where we spend 90% of our time! So why are toxins bad?
Our body’s organs function to naturally decrease the toxic load in our lives:
- Liver. to break down toxins into less harmful substances and removes them through your urine.
- Bowel. Carries toxins from your liver and removes waste materials from digested food to establish healthy digestive function.
- Kidneys. Filters harmful chemicals from your blood and removes them through your urine.
- Lungs and Skin. Helps to detoxify your organs when they are overloaded.
- Blood circulation. Good circulation helps to bring healthy blood and oxygen to your organs so they can function well and remove toxins effectively.
- Lymphatic circulation. Uses lymph fluid to process and filter waste through your spleen, thymus, and lymph nodes. These organs remove waste before emptying your lymph fluid back into the blood.
When your body becomes over loaded with toxins, it becomes sluggish. This can result in skin breakouts, eczema, migranes, headaches, illness, lack of energy, digestion issues, can flare up autoimmune disorders big time, affect children’s behavior greatly, and can contribute to disease and illness. (source)
So What does This Have To Do With Essential Oils?
Everythinggggg! Essential oils are not just to make your house smell good! People have been using them for 1000’s of years to support healing in the human mind and body! When this little thing called pharmaceuticals came along, we wiped all things natural off the map. We also discovered all these lab made chemicals that can kill bugs and germs…..and we tell people that it’s safe for you, it just hurts “those things, not you. But what we’re realizing is that MUCH of those chemicals are being linked to disease, cancers, and triggers to many health issues today. Think about it people? How can a CHEMICAL that literally poisons germs, pests, and bacteria instantly…..NOT be harmful to you, even with small exposure? Those same toxins that are killing all the funk and bugs on the foods you eat (while they’re growing on the farm) and the junk in your everyday cleaning and beauty products in life, are going into your body when you use and consume….You think it doesn’t affect you? Think again…..
Essential Oils allow you to make safe, effective, and inexpensive alternative solutions that are TOXIN FREE! Take a look at all of your products that you use in your home. I’ll pay you 5 bucks if you can pronounce the ingredients on the list or if you can tell me what each do! Most products are packed with parabens, phalates, and artificial fragrance. MANY of these ingredients have been linked to allergies, sensitivities, and health issues, including cancer. If you struggle with ANY autoimmune disorder as well, essential oils can be very supportive for your health journey! PURE essential oils allow you to take hold of your home environment and decrease the toxic load for both you and your family, by replacing them with natural DIY products!
Here is a list of all the products I now make on my own at home, most with less than 5 natural ingredients in them:
– Room Deodorizer
Think about how much you spend on these products at the store usually, and how many chemicals you are putting in your body and exposing your children to on a daily basis. Of COURSE, we cannot get rid of every chemical in our life, but we CAN work towards decreasing the toxic load on a daily basis by taking these simple steps…..With majority of these products being less than 5 ingredients, it takes a maximum of 10 minutes to make. I reuse glass bottles and jars. I have all ingredients on hand and buy many in economy size off of Amazon. When I am out, I simply just remake! Not only is investing in pure essential oils an amazing way to support your health, but they are extremely cost-effective when you compare the amount of money you spend on store bought item vs. homemade DIY’s! And the DIY’s you KNOW are safe….
So Why Can’t I use My OTC, Groupon, and Amazon Oils?
Some key things to understand and know about essential oils: ALL BRANDS CANNOT BE TREATED EQUAL! 98% of the “natural” essential oils out there on the market today are synthetic and impure. Meaning they are made with unnatural ingredients and not…PURE!!!! And sadly, they are extremely misleading with “100% natural” labeling. If your oils are cheap, you’re getting cheap oils…..period. Here are some questions to ask when looking to purchase essential oils:
- Where are they sourced? – it’s important to only use oils that are sourced from indigenous plants (plants grown in their natural habitat.) This ensures that you are getting the most effective and pure oils from plants that were grown in their natural environment where they were simply meant to be grown.
2. Are they Pure/Organic? – the biggest thing about “organic labeling” when it comes to essential oils is not just “are they organic?” They need to be free of chemicals, pesticides, fillers, and any artificial contaminants (up to organic standards), but as stated above, they need to be sourced from indigenous plants. What do you think would taste better? An organic orange from Alaska? Or an organic orange from Florida? Florida, of course! Here’s the deal with these cheaper oils…..majority of them are made with chemicals that are just as, if not more, harmful than the products that you were using before the oils! (candles, sprays, perfumes….). DO NOT apply topically or ingest your oils from ONLINE or OTC! I wouldn’t even diffuse them either! If you’re going to use oils and reap benefit, PAY FOR REAL OILS! It will cost you more than just money if you cut corners with essential oils.
3. Are they Tested by a 3rd Party? – This is SOOOO important! So many of you buy oils from companies that are inexpensive. Who tests these oils? The company? Do you really want to take a companies word for it when it comes to THEIR product that THEY made, that THEY are making money off of? When oil companies pay a 3rd party to test their oils, there is a lot of transparency happening there. They’re handing over their product to say, ” Here you go, please test our product to make sure it’s up to quality standards.” You’re getting an unbiased and scientific breakdown of the oil composition. These third parties make sure these oils are indeed, “pure” and that you (the consumer) are receiving safe and effective essential oil.
So when it comes to using essential oils, use PURE oils only. Do not cut corners. The cost is more than your wallet….it’s your health! If you’d like to view the Essential Oil’s that I have researched deeply and personally use, please click here.
Below I have compiled a list of my FAVORITE DIY ingredients and products! The book I have listed is my go-to for everything! Please feel free to reach out with any questions! You guys can follow me on facebook and instagram to learn more about my non-toxic and clean lifestyle journey!
For those of you new to Essential Oils, please request join my Private Education Page!
Ok….the moment you’ve all been waiting for…..
The Ultimate DIY List!
(The book I use for EVERYTHING!)
Ultimate Supplies List
Roller Balls 10 ml
Spray Bottles 2 oz
Top 5 Recipes:
- 1. Homemade Soft Scrub:
3/4 cup baking soda.
1/4 cup castile soap.
1 Tbsp water.
15 drops of OnGuard essential oil!
Mix all together, store in class jar! Pour contents into sinks, tubs, and services to clean!
2. Homemade Face Wash
3/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil
1/2 cup baking soda
15 drops Frankincese
15 drops Melaleuca
15 drops Lavender
(optional addition- 8 drops Copaiba and 5 Helichrysum)
Mix all together. Us VERY small amount on damp skin. It may take a few weeks for skin to adjust, but it works BEAUTIFULLY for many! If not adapting well to coconut oil, try different carrier oil base.
3. Nurse/Teacher/Mom-Life/Stress Support Roller!
10 drops EACH in 10ml Rollerball
Fill the rest with Fractionated Coconut Oil and apply to wrists as needed.
4. My Head Aches” Roller
10 ml Roller Mall
10 drops of Deep Blue
15 drops of Peppermint
10 drops of Frankincense
10 Drops of Lavender
Fill the rest with Fractionated Coconut Oil
5. Natural Deodorant
4 Tbs of Organic Coconut Oil Melted
5 drops of Lavender
5 drops of Melaleuca
1/4 cup of arrowroot powder
1/4 cup of baking soda
Mix all together. Scoop ingredients into deodorant container. Let sit. (I put mine in refrigerator to firm up!)
Apply daily. You can add 1/2 tsp beeswax to firm up if you live in hot climate!
Store at room temp!
(This blog contents affiliate posts! Thank you for loving and supporting my brand always!)